Saturday, May 2, 2009

My Mom Was Amazing....

My mom was an amazing woman. She seemed to be involved in one project or another. She loved creating things and was great at fixing things. She was an amazing seamstress (sewed my wedding gown), knitted (She even made me an incredible fisherman’s knit sweater once, but I was so terribly allergic to the wool I could never wear it). She tackled stained glass, did macramé, and even started her own business with a hot stamp machine.
One of my favorite things about my mom was her tenacity to learn how to do things. She didn't give up easily and patiently spent the time needed to master any task she tackled. She was pretty handy around the house and it stands to note that the only tool box in the house was hers! I’m not sure if my dad even knew where to find it!
I remember when I first got married she told me that if I did any repairs around the house that my husband would soon leave repairs undone, rather than learn to do them himself. “So, she warned, “if you can’t wait to have it fixed, and you can fix it yourself, do so, but don’t breathe a word of it!"
I didn’t get my mom’s “Handy Dandy” genes. But I became fearless at giving any repair a try! I slowed down on the home repairs early in my marriage when I took my clock radio apart and inadvertently left the butter knife I was using as a screwdriver inside. My brother-in-law discovered it and made fun of me. That was the “Ah Hah” moment when I realized I wasn’t repair-man material! Despite the forgotten butter-knife, I still do a lot of things myself. As my budget permits, I hire more and more things done, but once in a while I have a lapse of judgment, forget I’m not my mom, and try a home improvement project. Once in a while I even succeed. My mom would be proud!

No comments: