
I remember the stories of Jesus washing the feet of the disciples. I didn't understand that at all. I understood it was an act of being humble. I know the Savior wanted us to be kind to others, but I didn't understand why the "Feet" example.
As a child I was grossed out by the thought of touching someone stinky feet!!! Then...to hear the Savior touched some one's dirty feet. Well! This story caught my attention! This meant the Savior needed to kneel before the disciple, a very humbling position. It wasn't until I got older and work required me to be on my feet all day that I realized any attention to a person's feet was a welcomed act of kindness. The significance of the Lord's example to humble ourselves to show acts of kindness took on deeper meaning.....
Well, now that I'm an adult, I see things a little differently. I have spent a lot of time as a nurse doing things that might have grossed me out as a child. I have bathed patients, changed sheets and washed patients after they've lost control of their bodily functions.... I knew it was difficult for them to receive such personal care and many of them spent too much time apologizing for a loss of bodily functions they could not control. I realized then how important it was to provide this service in such a way that my patients knew this was not a burden to me. I spent a lot energy trying to make my patients understand that I loved my job and loved being in a position to help patients do things that at this time in their lives they could not do for themselves.
Thinking back to the things I did for patients in the ICU and in contrast to what I thought as a child, washing dirty feet wasn't something gross, but a chance to give comfort, to show a kindness. I imagine in Jesus' days, feet took quite a beating. Living in a warm climate, wearing sandals, and walking almost everywhere would definitely create dry, tired feet, and they would probably be cracked and sore. Not only could I finally see how the act of washing tired hot feet would be a welcomed service, but I could finally see that allowing the Savior to perform such a humble act would allow the Savior totally into their heart and soul. It would create a bond with the person performing the act of kindness. Much the way I bonded with my patients in the ICU.
Fast forward to 2009. I know we are still encouraged to show kindness to others. Church gives us a constant opportunity for service and my profession gives me the opportunity to show kindness and empathy to others who are at a very vulnerable time in their lives.
A few people who are always giving service, and never expect anything in return are the sister missionaries. I am constantly amazed how they remain so dedicated. They would surely have a right to be discouraged. Doors get slammed in their faces, promises are made to them that are are broken, and every day they put their hearts out there... Many times to be struck down by a rude or angry stranger. Despite the frequent negative answers, they still take a chance inviting strangers to listen to a message they hold sacred and dear to their hearts, knowing the vast majority of people will not listen.
When they are not proselyting missionaries are expected to give service. Often times, when people don't want to listen to a message, they then ask "Well, then, is there anything we can do for you today, something you need help with?? With the exception of being fed and sheltered, I don't think they get a chance to receive many kindnesses or service to them directly. And this is as it was meant to be: this is a time for missionaries to dedicate their lives to service. Giving this service to others would help missionaries create a bond with the people in their mission. By understanding the needs of people, missionaries develop a bond of caring and understanding they may otherwise not have.
But my dad's advice reminds me "If you don't take care of yourself, You can't take care of others.."
Having been the recipient of kindness and service from the sister missionaries, I decided to direct a little kindness to them....and treated them both to pedicures on their "P" day. (aka "personal day" or 'day off'). After making sure with their mission president that it was "OK", I took them to one of the local nail salons. The chairs massaged their tired backs while the ladies at the salon massaged their feet, scrubbed their callouses and trimmed their toe nails. .. Not really a spiritual experience... yet a little act of kindness to two young ladies who otherwise spend all their time in service to others.
I hope somehow these amazing and kind ladies felt a little 'rejuvenated' by the experience. I enjoyed our time together!








No comments:
Post a Comment